Sunday, November 8, 2009

Test Ride

Spent all morning working around the house, cleaning gutters, sweeping the garage, etc.  Then, headed out to pick up Ed V. to head to Beartown.  Didn't get on the bike until after 1:00, so this time of year that left just about 2.5 hours of riding light.


On the first trail the new suspension felt good but choppy.  I later just decided that it was the thick blanket of leaves more than the new suspension that was pushing the bike around.  On a couple steep climbs, the bike really bobbled when I tried to sit to get traction.  


I went 3 clicks softer on compression on front and back.  Didn't really see much difference.  It took me a while to figure it out, but the bike really likes me to stand right now.  Again, pretty tough to tell with the very slippery conditions, but it really drives well when you're on the pegs over the bars.


Gilles recommended 120mm of sag.  I'm wondering if maybe that's not a little too much for me.  I'll going to try a little more preload before the next ride.  Hopefully next weekend.  Even though the rear felt harsh while sitting, when I stood, the rear really drove much better than it did previously.  So, I'm satisfied that we're on the right track.  I'm sure when I can get on some trails w/o the leaves it will feel totally different.


Gonna hit the gym tomorrow and try to get in at least 4 good workouts this week.


Today's setup:  Same as Black and Blue, Bridgestone 403/404 both well worn, 10.5lbs in both, 3 clicks softer from GT's stock clicker settings.  Rear rolled off of the side of rocks more than usual.  Tough to say if this is the leaves or the suspension or the tire.

1 comment: