Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The fitness trail:

The Snow Run back in February was a wake-up call.  I was riding pretty well but then I really bonked on a tough uphill in a way that I'd not experienced before.  It was one of those times when you have to say, is a little plastic trophy worth a trip to  the hospital.  No.


I would say after that, I got "kinda serious" about my fitness.  I ate a little better.  Worked out a little more for strength, but didn't really do much cardio.  So, as usual, I kind of rode my way into moderate shape and muddled through the whole season that way.  Looking at my scores, I've got the consistency thing knocked.  My relatively good results come from not getting stuck in holes or on hills, but don't come from outright speed.


So, since switching to a job in my hometown that gives me access to a gym for free in the morning, pretty much all of my excuses are gone.  Since July 2009 I've been pretty good about getting into gym at 6:00 AM, doing a mix of strength and a little cardio but probably not enough.  If I'm going to up my competetiveness for next year, I'll need to get there at least 4 times a week and get in a solid hour...not the 35-40 minutes I've been doing lately.


Tomorrow will be the first time this week I'll get to the gym.  Gonna spray down the whole place with antiseptic and go at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment