Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Almost the end for 2009

I decided to start this blog now, rather than wait for the end of the season or the start of the next.  Doesn't really make much difference, the seasons just blur into each other anyway.


The Black & Blue Enduro 2009:  


The run:  This event is always well run and a popular one on the circuit for good reason.  The CT Ramblers have been putting on events for a long, long time and they've got it pretty well knocked.  The course was well arrowed and the routesheet was challenging.


The first section was a perfect indicator for how the rest of the day would go.  Rocky, snotty, with lots of wet leaves on top of wet rocks.  A big challenge for me and I just did whatever I could to keep smooth and consistent.  My buddy Ed V. went by me early in the section but I got him back when he took a mud bath soon after.


The rest of the ride went like this.  Joe F. the trailboss saved some pristine singletrack for the first A-B section in the morning...lots of fun.  I left gas 15 minutes after my original row.  In that section I caught and passed the guy currently leading my class.  I tried to pour it on and make some time on him.  Got him by 4 in that section but he got two of them back in the next.  In the A-B section where we literally rode upstream I was steadily catching him after he passed me on a road section.  I got along side of him and that's when my bike died.  I hadn't ever rerouted my carb vent lines on the new bike.  Cost me about  6 minutes and I was out of contention.  Checked into the next-to-last section with one minute left before hour-out.  I just cruised that section and then headed back to parking where I found Ed and his flat rear trials tire.  He had too quit in the section after gas.


All in all, a great event even though my results weren't what I was hoping.


The damage:  Two blown fork seals, lots of slack in the chain, I've got some doubt about the pickup cable for the Watchdog, a couple bent spokes on the rear, graphics coming off, sore back, sore arms, and hands barely holding together.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review of the B&B. I really wanted to be there with you guys and thought about you guys while fixing the plumbing in the house.

    ReplyDelete