Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Trials tire flop

After all the hype I've heard from a bunch of people about how good trials tires work in N.E. I decided to give it a try.  First ride was doing RocktoberFast mileages with Ed.  I really didn't like it at all.  The traction was marginally better, but the lack of braking, brake sliding, and the way it just sinks in mud were not worth the advantage to me.  It also felt like it upset the balance of the bike, putting too much weight on the front.  I don't really ever struggle with wheel spin so the traction gains were not that significant for me.

I decided to give it one more try this weekend at Beartown.  Another bust.  I hated the way the bike rode.  Some guys on NEDB and a few Pathfinders suggested going with lower PSI, more like 8 or 9.  I let a little air out on the trail and didn't feel much difference.  Got a flat a little bit later.  The trials tire is horrible when it's flat...a lot worse than a knobby.

So, I'll pull it off this weekend and check the damage.  If the bead is not too damaged, I'll keep it and put some car studs on it for frozen ground riding.  I'm going back to the good, ole trusty MT16.

EDIT:  Turns out that Shawn B. was right.  When I pulled off the trials tire to get ready for the King Phillip, I saw the the tube had ripped at the valve stem.  Too much traction.  They say you need 2 rim locks.  Anyway, after the great performance from the MT16 this weekend, I see no reason to experiment with the trials anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment