Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Leyden Memorial Enduro

It's a crazy time at work right now so it's  taken me a while to get this update in. The Leyden enduro was two weeks ago and as usual, it continues to be one of the best organized and most fun enduros on the schedule.

Weather and trail conditions were perfect.  It was run in AMA rules, so 4 of us ran on the same line all day:  Rick B., Ed V., Scott F., and me.  We were on line 14 and the turnout was big for NETRA, probably about 130 riders.

As mentioned in a previous post, I think I've got the jetting knocked.  The bike ran great all day, no signs of overheating, no problems.  The suspension is still a little stiff, but in balance.  I'll probably have Gilles service the shock in a few weeks and I'll have him soften the valving the equivalent of 4-6 clicks of compression.

The trails were in awesome shape and the club had added lots of little sections of new singletrack.  Mostly this was in the form of small snippets that connected older pieces of trail.  I had a lot of fun chasing Rick and Ed for most of the day.  I got Ed in one of the sections, but he got me the rest of the day....including the last one.  In the last section, they opened up the flood gates turning the stream from the first section into a deluge.  It was a lot of fun.  The big shock was the small climb out of the stream in the first section was now a tough, off camber right turn.  I caught Ed just after this when I found him just looking at his bike on the ground, exhausted.  Not a quarter mile later I fell over and took a bath in a huge puddle.  Ed caught up and followed me through the grass track section before the end.  Crossing a log pile, I hesitated when the rider in front of me bobbled and Ed went straight over...beating me in the section.  It was a lot of fun and I almost caught back up to him.

As usual at this event, I had a ton of fun but my results were terrible...6th in the class I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment