Sunday, June 13, 2010

King Phillip Enduro

Had a blast today at the King Phillip Enduro.  Lots or rain overnight meant for slippery conditions.   They started us and finished us in the grass track this year.  Ed and I post-entered on row 20.  He got the holeshot and I used up a bunch of roll-offs trying to get by him in the first few corners in the muddy grass.  Corner speeds were low as traction was low.  I thought that if I could hang with him there I'd end up getting him in the trail section between the first and second grass tracks.  That's what happened as I got past him when he bobbled on some whoops.  Right away I was feeling the groove and feel like I rode as well as I could today.

The majority of the sections today were typical New England.  Lots of slimy rocks and a little bit of mud.  No stoppers, everything had a bottom.  The club did a good job of putting the sections together to have a mix of flowing and technical.  Arrowing was perfect and I didn't miss a single turn all day.  The only glitch was there not being enough reset after the first grass track.  Most of us pushed down the road and still checked in 3 minutes late to the next section.

I've decided that I'm not going to mess around trying any other tire combinations.  The Bridgestone M59 front and MT 16 rear were spot on and predictable all day.  So was the jetting.

In the section after gas, Ed got away from me for a while.  I had him reeled in at the tubes but he pulled away from me there and got me by half a minute in that section.  It was lucky for me that he just missed a flip so we ended up on the same minute.  That section went right into the A-B section with no break.  The check out of the tubes section was the check in to the A-B.  I was determined to reel him in and pushed as hard as I did all day.  Found him picking up his bike sideways on a hill about 1/2 mile before the check out and got him by just a few seconds.

At the Rhody, Ed beat me in almost every section.  Today was my turn.  I ended up 3rd B-Vet.  Gonna be fun riding this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment