Sunday, August 29, 2010

Practice Ride

Forgot to include in the Noble Woods post that jetting was spot-on for the 75 deg. temps.  No spooge and really crisp running.  Even at low throttle on the road sections.  For the higher speeds and smoother terrain, the current suspension was perfect.  Still need to have Gilles lighten up the rear compression a little for the more typical N.E. stuff.

Today, I went out to western CT and rode with Dan R. (who I hadn't seen in a dog's age) and Steve. E.  Dan's got some private stock out there that he's spent a few years cutting and blazing.  As it turned out, the loop he's got there is perfect enduro practice.  It's about a 16 mile loop.  Some of it is really cool rhythm riding, like Noble Woods last week.  Some of it is double-track and rocky like RocktoberFast.  And a good amount of it is tight, twisty, and rocky...a lot like Mudslinger.  On the few rock gardens, the suspension was pretty bouncy.  OK if you're going for it, but if I let up, the bike would dance side-to-side on both ends.  Dan knows the place like the back of his hand so, keeping up with him was about a 90% pace for me.  When I was out front, I had to push hard to pull away from him.  Whenever I'd slow to pick up the trail, he'd get right on my tail.  Good fun.

Wish that every ride could end with a dip in the pool, beers and brats on the deck.  That was cool.

Hoping to get out there again before the end of the season.

2 comments:

  1. Love Dan's spot. Wish I was there for the ride Sunday, but I had to stay close to home. Sounds like you guys had an awesome ride!

    I rode at Thomaston Dam early Sunday. I tried out a FMF Gnarly pipe on the bike just to see what it is like. I had a horrible off day where I didn't do anything right and the pipe didn't help so it is coming off and the Enduro Engineering pipe is going back on.
    I'll keep the pipe as a back-up, but your more than welcome to try it out and it is already banged up so no worry's there.
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Motor-wise my bike is still bone stock. For me, it's perfect and don't see any need to experiment. I've never even messed with the P.V.

    ReplyDelete