Monday, August 2, 2010

Mudslinger Enduro

100% different from last year, this year's Mudslinger was dry and dusty.  Same terrain as usual, some of the most technical riding on the NETRA circuit.  Lots of long, twisting, rocky climbs that test everyone's ability to maintain traction and forward momentum.

Before gas there were only 3 sections.  The first turned out to be a 3 mile warm-up that was untimed.  Too bad. It was probably my best section of the day.  My pace was OK and I had a good rhythm.  Two guys that left my line before me each went down once.  The following two sections were both very long:  probably around 16 miles each.  Coming into gas I felt OK, but no longer felt like I had a good rhythm.  There were a bunch of grassy sections with hidden rocks beneath.  Some cart road sections that challenged your bravery.

After gas, we did some of the same climbs as in the first section of the day.  I just could not get back into riding hard.  By about mile 50, I was out of it mentally and it just went downhill from there.  The Pigeon Roost trail was fun since they sent us down the slick-rock sections instead of up.  By this point I was being passed by tons of riders and my motivation was nil.

Going up the Ledges was the usual.  It was pretty well lubricated by the time I got there from all the previous riders.  I took the usual line that waits on the left until the turn and then heads diagonally to the right.  I made it to the last ledge, where I got caught up....I've made that line on my 450 before but the 2-stroke just did not have the tractor to make it....and the pilot didn't have the skill.  Bobby S. and Dave D. were there to help me up the last 10 feet.

It was still another 20 miles after the Ledges and I was just hanging onto the bike.  My worst ride in a while.  I've got to get serious if I have any hope for 3rd place for the season.  Riding once per month and sporadic exercise as I've been doing this summer are not going to cut it.  Time to take the bull by the horns.  Ed and Jim both had really good runs today, beating me by a ton.

The rear suspension was very harsh for today's conditions.  Need to get that to Gilles for some softer valving.  Jetting was pretty fat most of the day and the silencer had some spooge right after a re-pack on Saturday.  So, probably need to lean out the needle at least one clip.  Tires were perfect, the M59 front and MT16 seem to be do-all tires for me.  Ed said that the trials tire did not do well on the uphills that had silt-covered rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment