Sunday, January 17, 2010

Walden Mud & Snow Scramble

Went out to the MX track in Walden, NY today for the scramble.  Had a great time.  Rick B. and Kevin O. also raced.  I didn't change my suspension or my jetting.  Didn't seem to need to.

There was no snow to be found.  I rode with the rallye spikes on the bike.  I'm still pretty impressed with how this tire is holding up.  Cheng Shin 755 with 22mm rallye studs, Gorilla Glue on each.  Conditions today were the toughest possible for the studs and I think I only lost 10 or so on the rear...none on the front.

I felt good in the small woods sections and had a decent pace there.  The many sections where we used the MX track were tough.  Lots of frozen mud ruts.

I feel OK about the way I rode, but whenever I do a scramble I forget about the shorter length and hold back a little...like I'm riding an enduro.  Gotta learn to just cut it loose.  Not really sore or tired.

This guy was moving.  Passed me from a line behind (at least I wasn't the first guy he passed).  Had a big Suzuki and regular digital camera taped to the chin bar of his helmet.

YouTube Video

5 comments:

  1. It was really nice to see the Walden experiment working so well. Great turnout and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It was only my second hare scramble, usually it's MX for me. I liked the endurance challenge of the two hours. Especially for a +50 guy like me. Now it's time to change tires again for Indoor MX at Mototown on Thursday.
    The secret about ruts is DON'T LOOK DOWN AT THE RUT. Aim the bike and then look ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see things working out for the Walden club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever ridden at the Island MX track in Yaphank? I know you are a trail rider. I figure it might be a good point of view if you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. Not real familiar with NY and never really did any MX either. This was the closest I've been to riding MX.

    ReplyDelete